Planning & Development Coronavirus (COVID-19) Updates

In light of the emerging COVID-19 crisis, the Dane County Planning & Development office will be CLOSED TO THE PUBLIC effective 4:30pm, Wednesday March 18th. Department staff will continue to answer questions and process zoning applications via phone and email, where possible.

Property Listing FAQ

The name on my assessment notice and tax bill is incorrect. Can you change this?

My spouse and I have divorced. Why does his/her name keep appearing on the assessment notices and tax bills?

Our office is required to list the owners of real estate according to the recorded documents in the Register of Deeds office. If there was no type of documentation to change the ownership in the property (quit claim deed, divorce judgment, etc.) we do not have any way of changing the names. In this case, you may wish to check with the attorney handling the divorce about transferring the property.

My spouse has passed away, but the assessment notice and tax bill still shows the name. How can I get their name removed?

It depends on how the title to the property was held. If the property was held in joint tenancy or survivorship marital property, you can file a Termination of Decedent’s Interest form with the Register of Deeds office. This form is available at the Register of Deeds office and the staff can provide you with instructions on filling out the form. If the property was not titled this way, you may wish to contact an attorney to help transfer the property, especially if the property needs to go through probate.

I was married recently. Why hasn’t my name been changed on the tax bill and assessment notice?

If you haven’t recorded any document to transfer the title to your property since your marriage, the name reflected on the tax bill and assessment notice will be the same as listed on the conveyance where you took title. To change the ownership, you may contact an attorney to prepare the documents. Or, if you feel comfortable doing it yourself, you may download the deed forms from the link provided on the Register of Deeds website Click on the link under Real Estate labeled Deeds.

I don't believe my property assessment is correct. Can you change it?

Our office is required to maintain the values established by the assessor for your municipality. If you do not agree with your values, you should first contact your assessor to discuss it. A good source of information is the state Department of Revenue website which contains information on property owners' rights and information about the assessment process.

I would like to obtain a survey of my property. I want to know what the lot dimensions of my property are. Does your office have this?

The Dane County Surveyor’s office has copies of plats and property surveys. To contact that office, call 266-4253.

Can you tell me what my property is zoned?

Dane County Zoning has information on zoning for properties in rural Dane County. You may also try checking the Access Dane website. If the property is located within an incorporated city or village, you will need to contact the appropriate department in that municipality.

What are the taxes on my property?

For first installment amounts, you should check with the treasurer for your municipality. After that, check with the Dane County Treasurer’s office at 266-4151.

I get several tax bills for adjacent parcels of land. Is there any way to combine them?

If you would like the properties to be assessed together, you may contact the assessor for your municipality. If the properties are assessed together, you will get one assessment notice and one tax bill, but the properties will continue to be listed individually in the assessment roll. If you want the real estate parcels combined to create one assessment parcel, please contact our office so we may review the parcels. Sometimes, due to taxing district boundaries, such as school or tif districts, we are not able to combine parcels for taxpayers.

We just bought a brand new lot this year, but the tax bill came in the previous owner’s name. Why didn’t you update this?

When new lots, or parcels are created during the year, new parcel numbers are assigned. However, assessments are based on how the property existed on January 1 of the given year. If a parcel is split during the year, the tax bill will go out as a whole to the person who owned it when it was split. The new parcels will not be assessed or taxed until the following year. If you would like the tax bill split, contact the treasurer for your municipality. Under certain circumstances they may split the tax bill for you.