Planning & Development Coronavirus (COVID-19) Updates

In light of the emerging COVID-19 crisis, the Dane County Planning & Development office will be CLOSED TO THE PUBLIC effective 4:30pm, Wednesday March 18th. Department staff will continue to answer questions and process zoning applications via phone and email, where possible.


A petition to rezone is a request to change either the zoning district designation of your parcel or to adjust the zoning district boundaries on your property. Rezoning may be necessary if your proposed use or structure does not meet the requirements of your current zoning district.

You may apply for a rezone with Dane County after consulting with the Town Clerk or other Town officials. A petition to rezone is reviewed by your Town Board, which forwards a recommendation to the County Zoning and Land Regulation Committee. The Zoning Committee makes a recommendation to the Dane County Board of Supervisors on whether to approve a rezone after holding a public hearing. The County Board, the County Executive, and the Town Board again, if any changes have been made from the original application, must approve the rezone in order for it to become effective.

Among other factors, consistency with the recommendations of the Town Land Use Plan and County Farmland Preservation Plan will be important in the review of your rezoning request.

Expect a minimum of four months between the time you file an application for a rezoning and the time final action on your request is taken.


All documents are in Adobe Acrobat format unless otherwise specified.